Thursday, March 22, 2007

My first tears shed!

Ok, so today we had to tell Lian (our maid) that we are leaving. We had to do this because we told the landlord and he will be coming by to check things out and we wanted her to hear it from us, not someone else.

So, Daniela came over to translate for us and as she was telling her I was watching Lian and seeing how upset she was getting with the news. I started to tear up and she started to tear up then she came over and gave me a hug and we both started bawling. Then Daniela started crying and we were all blubbering idiots! Lian told us that she was very sad that we were leaving and she felt really bad.

Later Daniela told me that Lian talked to her maid and told her that she was so upset that she didn't think she could sleep tonight. I was so upset. These are the first tears shed, I'm sure of many, related to our departure in June.

Luckily a friend of ours who just had a baby wants to hire Lian (she got to us first, since then I have had others inquire, but Jen got first dibs!) so when Daniela told her that Jen wanted to hire her, she was at least happy to hear that she will be the IE (Chinese for maid/babysitter/savior!) for a new baby. I am very happy that I know Lian will be taken care of after we leave.

I know that leaving her will be a very hard thing for us to do. The kids are so attached and she loves the kids. But as I spoke to Jen tonight, she pointed out to me that since she will be with Lian we can still communitcate with her via calls and emails. (I think since my Chinese is so limited, we will have to send pictures...no calls!) I am glad to know that Lian will not be lost to us.

I keep remembering Tracy (my close friend who left unexpectantly to go back to Australia, mind you while I was away for the summer, leaving me to come back to China without her!!!) telling me her story of the day they left and Asha (their IE) crying, standing in the street not moving until the taxi went out of her sight. I think that we will have a very similar experience leaving Lian and I am not looking forward to it at all!

1 comment:

yarnophiliac said...

aaawwwwww..I'm so sorry to hear that! How awful. It is amazing that even with the language barrier, you were all able to become so close and that feelings can be communicated so strongly without words. It is good to know she will have a good position and a lovely little baby in her life, and so will you, to help you all deal with the seperation and change. Love you, h